Skip to main content

Icon faq FAQ

Find answers to frequently asked questions.

I received a notice with a patient’s alcohol and drug abuse records that I could not “further disclose” the information. How can I send them on to SSA?

When providers of substance use services (drug and alcohol) release records, they are required to include the following notice from the CFR Title 42:2.32:

“This information has been disclosed to you from records protected by Federal confidentiality rules (42 CFR part 2). The Federal rules prohibit you from making any further disclosure of this information unless further disclosure is expressly permitted by the written consent of the person to whom it pertains or as otherwise permitted by 42 CFR part 2. A general authorization for the release of medical or other information is NOT sufficient for this purpose. The Federal rules restrict any use of the information to criminally investigate or prosecute any alcohol or drug abuse patient.” Source:

However, the law allows the records to be disclosed to any entity the person names in the consent. When you complete the SSA-827: Authorization to Disclose Information to SSA be sure that it specifically mentions the release of drug and alcohol treatment records.