How Does the SOAR Online Course Work?
The SOAR Online Course provides a unique alternative to in-person trainings. There is no cost for this program.
The SOAR Online Course
The SOAR Online Course has seven classes. Each class includes:
Class Home page with Key Lessons and a Class Overview
Series of articles about SOAR and the SSI/SSDI application process
- "Try-Its" to help you gauge your understanding of the material
Practice Case page designated by a briefcase icon
The practice case provides an opportunity to apply what you are learning in the course by completing an SSI/SSDI application packet using SOAR techniques.
Take Note: Completion of the Practice Case portion of the course is intended for those preparing to assist individuals who are experiencing or at risk of homelessness to submit their SSI/SSDI applications using the SOAR model.
- On each Practice Case page, there will be detailed instructions for what tasks must be completed.
- You will play the role of a SOAR caseworker assisting an assigned fictional applicant to apply for SSI/SSDI.
- At the end of Class 7, you will submit your complete application packet to the SAMHSA SOAR Technical Assistance (TA) Center for review.
- Check out these great YouTube Videos about navigating the Online Course Practice Case: Adult Curriculum | Child Curriculum
Your complete application packet will be reviewed by SOAR TA Center staff and you will receive feedback within 10 business days.
If your application packet is complete and without major errors or omissions, you will receive a Certificate of Completion and 20 Continuing Education Units (CEUs) from the National Association of Social Workers (NASW).
If there are significant errors/omissions, you will be invited to revise your packet and resubmit it for a second review. You will receive feedback on your revisions within 5 business days.
If your revised packet does not meet our standards for quality, you will not receive a Certificate of Completion but will be invited to re-take the course and submit an application packet for a different applicant.
We estimate that it will take about 20 hours to complete the entire course, including the Practice Case application packet
- While you can work at your own pace, we encourage you to complete the course within 30 days.
- This will help you retain the information you have already learned and get you connected sooner to your local SOAR initiatives.
SOAR in Your State
Your state may have additional SOAR training/certification requirements.
Visit your state's page in the SOAR State Directory.